Monday, September 29, 2008

started early, probably going to be a long one...


Man, what a week.  Such a week, in fact, that I think this is going to be a post for the ages.  

I find bulleting things therapeutic.

  • School is crazy.  Add seventeen credit hours, a job, random SI's, social-ness, and family, and you have a recipe for disaster.  Or lots of stress.  Either way.
  • I find sometimes that people can suck.  And, whenever I feel that way, I read this poem by Mother Teresa.  (emphasis added)
DO GOOD ANYWAY... 

"In the Final Analysis" 
by Mother Teresa 
People are often unreasonable, illogical, and self-centered... 
forgive them anyway  

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish ulterior motives... 
be kind anyway

If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies... 
succeed anyway

If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you... 
be honest and frank anyway

What you may spend years building, someone may destroy overnight... 
build anyway

If you find serenity and happiness, people may be jealous... 
be happy anyway

The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow... 
do good anyway

Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough... 
give the world the best you have anyway 

You see, in the final analysis, it's all between you and God... 
it was never between you and them anyway
I read it for a few different reasons.  1 - the place I was in and the people I was with when I heard it the first time.  (A dark mountainside near palisades with some of the most important people in my life) 2 - Life must have been pretty tough for someone so small.   If she could do it, I can do it.  And 3 - It's pretty inspirational.  It makes a lot of sense to be nice to people even if it's just so that you can have a clean conscience and maintain confidence enough to continue being social.  
  • We had a ward-wide FHE tonight in which we all built hobo houses out of cardboard boxes and tape.  We totally rocked the competition, but we failed to receive due recognition.  The highlight of our house was the 20 foot steeple we built that we had to anchor to Jake (who was amazingly well outfitted in hobo gear).  Pictures to follow.  We had discussed strategy ealier and decided that we either had to go for hobo-ness or for elaborateness.  We went for the hobo look, and lost.  
  • I went home this last weekend, and it rocked.  We went to dinner on Friday night, then I took a friend to lunch on Saturday, then I went to celebrate a birthday at a restaraunt that sells all-you-can-eat steak.  Those who love me know that I like to eat.  :)  Looks like Val and Blaze and mom and dad love me lots.  Even more important than the food, though, was how good I felt as I drove home from Idaho Falls after being with people who I love who love me back.
  • I bought a shirt for the big BYU game this weekend that says, "YBU" on the front and on the back it says, "Win or lose, you still live in Provo.  'Nuff said."  It made my day when I bought it, and it still makes me laugh when I think about it.  My favorite thing in the world is that we never have anything football-related that talks about us winning.  All of our shirts/cheers/posters just have insults just like that one that infers that we are going to get killed, but it's okay because we still live in the best city in Utah.  Just wait for basketball...

3 comments:

brittney perry said...

that poem always reminds me of nichole wilke. and people love you back here too.

Unknown said...

I'm afraid to say it, but there are more people in Provo who love you than in Logan...and yet you still taunt us. You will understand the truth someday. I just hope you do before it's too late.

Halli said...

OK - where can I get one of those shirts???? I should wear it to church! Love ya, Bud!
Your Mom