Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Catch Up

Blogging regularly is obviously not my strongpoint. Oh well.

Today at work a few more people quit to get ready for school. It seems like all summer I've just been waiting for summer to end so that I can keep moving forward, and that wish is about to be granted. Part of me wants to feel bad that most of the crew is leaving at the start of the school year, but the other part of me (the part that is excited for school) (the bigger, more dominant part of me) is numb to that. School is a welcomed break to the monotony.

All of that aside, I noticed a few things today at work I found noteworthy. First things first - quote of the day. When I exchanged pleasantries with an older gentleman today, he told me that he was doing, "just right." Not well, not badly, "just right." I thought that rocked and took a mental picture of his tropical-print shirt and polished dentures so that when I reach that age, I'll know just what to do to achieve just-right status.

Secondly - I was reminded of a few things from the people magnet book that I blogged about before. In one section it talks about the importance of being a good listener and how to change listening strategies depending on the gender of the speaker. It says that women feel like you're a good listener if you empathize with them and do your best to justify their feelings, whereas men expect solutions to problems and unless a plan of action is suggested - they feel like you're wasting their time. And, if you try the opposite strategy on the opposite gender, you'll lose friends. Totally true. (at least in a retail setting.) Try it sometime. If you're already a good listener, you probably already practice those techniques. Good times.

2 comments:

Sweet Em said...

Okay - noteworthy #2 just boosted your already high "eligible bachelor standing" by 100%. Better get Maria on the case to advertise for you!

Maria said...

Haha...I should definitely post an update on the blog...esp since he was voted Employee of the month this month!!!